Below is the constitution of Old Ratton Residents' Association as revised in October 2011
1. The name of the Association is “The Old Ratton Residents Association”.
2. The objects of the Association are:-
(a) To promote the permanent preservation for the benefit of the public generally and especially the residents in the private roads known as Ratton Drive, Walnut Tree Walk, Manor Way, The Close, The Grove, Linkway and to include that portion of Upper Ratton Drive from the stone gate pillars to the far side of the entrance to The Grove, all on the Ratton Estate at Ratton in the Borough of Eastbourne, of the said roads (including the sewers and drains thereunder) and the grassed-areas, trees and lands adjacent to the said roads and not comprised within the curtilages of the several houses, bungalows and flats fronting to such roads.
(b) Generally to maintain and keep in repair the said roads and protect and preserve the character and amenities of those portions of the Ratton Estate aforesaid which front to or are adjacent to the said roads and which are hereinafter referred to as “The Old Ratton Estate”.
(c) To do all such lawful acts or things as are incidental to the attainment of the primary objects of the Association and so far as may be necessary or desirable to do such acts or things in collaboration with any person ,body, institution, authority or otherwise.
3. Membership of the Association shall be confined to persons owning either alone or in conjunction with any other person or persons any house, bungalow, flat or other rateable hereditament in the Old Ratton Estate but a tenant or other resident in any such property shall be admitted as a member on payment of the annual subscription known as the Maintenance Charge mentioned in rule 4 hereof.
Subscriptions,donations and appeals:
4. The Annual Subscription, known as the Maintenance Charge, to the Association of a Member, qualifying such member for membership, shall be such sum as the Association shall determine from time to time in General Meeting. Where two or more persons are joint owners of any house, bungalow, flat or other rateable-hereditament on the Old Ratton Estate they shall together constitute one member and one subscription, known as the Maintenance Charge, only shall be payable for which such owners shall be jointly and severally liable to the Association.
The Association shall have power to accept donations for any purpose not inconsistent with its objects and may make special appeals for funds to be used in connection to any such purpose.
Determination of membership:
5. The Committee may on a resolution passed by not less than two thirds of the members thereof discontinue the membership of any member of the Association whose subscription known as the Maintenance Charge shall be six months in arrear or for any other reason at the absolute discretion of the Committee.
6. The Management of the Association shall be vested in a Committee consisting of the Chairman, the Treasurer, Secretary and six other members PROVIDED that the Committee may co-opt up to four additional members to the Committee. Five members of the Committee (exclusive of co-opted members) shall constitute a quorum.
Election of Officers and Committee:
7. The Association shall at its first meeting and at every Annual General Meeting elect a Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary and six other members to constitute the Committee for the ensuing year. The members of the Committee shall take office at the end of the meeting at which they are elected and shall hold office until the end of the next Annual General Meeting. All members of the Committee may be re-elected for a further term or terms but no member shall hold the office of Chairman for more than three years in succession, the Chairman for the time being shall also be the Chairman of the Annual General Meeting.
8. The treasurer shall keep accounts of all monies received and expended on account of the Association and shall present such accounts at the Annual General Meeting of the Association. The said accounts shall prior to such presentation be audited by the Association’s auditors.
9. A banking account shall be opened on behalf of the Association and all cheques drawn upon the said account shall require the signature of the Treasurer and one other member of the Committee.
10. The funds of the Association shall be applied solely to its objects which shall be deemed to include the remuneration and expenses of the Secretary, the Treasurer and such professional advisers and agents as the Committee shall in its absolute discretion employ or consult from time to time.
Annual General Meeting:
11. The financial year of the Association shall end on the 31st March in each year and a General Meeting of members shall be convened by the Secretary as soon thereafter as reasonably possible and in any case within three months for the purpose of receiving the annual report and balance sheet for electing the officers and auditors for the ensuring year and to consider any other business as may be necessary. Fourteen days notice of such meeting shall be sent to all members. Thirty members present in person shall constitute a quorum at the Annual General Meeting. In the event of a quorum not being present the meeting shall be adjourned to such place, date and time within the ensuing Sixty days as the Chairman shall decide and the members present at such adjourned meeting shall constitute a quorum.
Extraordinary General Meeting:
12. An Extraordinary General Meeting may be convened at any time by a resolution of the Committee or on the requisition of at least ten members of the Association. A meeting held on such requisitions shall be held within twenty one days of the receipt of such requisition by the Secretary and the Secretary shall give to all members of the Association fourteen days notice of such meeting. A quorum shall be the same as the quorum at the Annual General Meeting.
Votes of members:
13. At any General Meeting of the Association every member present in person who shall have paid his or her subscription known as the maintenance charge for the preceding year shall have one vote. Any member unable to be present may appoint another member of the Association as his or her proxy and any such appointment shall be in writing and handed to the Chairman of the Meeting. In the case of joint holders the vote of the senior shall be accepted to the exclusion of the votes of the other joint holders and for this purpose seniority shall be determined by the order in which the names stand on the Register of Members.
Powers of the committee:
14. The title of all and any real Property which may be acquired by or for the purposes of the Association shall be held by the company Old Ratton Residents Association Limited (by guarantee) in accordance with the aims and objectives set out in the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Company. The number of Directors of the Company shall not be less than three and shall consist of the Officers for the time being of the Association and any other residents who wish to be members upon application and agreeing to a guarantee of £1 in the event of liability.
15. All matters not hereinbefore provided for and not involving an amendment to this Constitution may be dealt with by the Committee.
16. The Association in General Meeting by a resolution passed by not less than three- quarters of those present and voting may amend this Constitution.
Revised October 2011.